Friday, 27 August 2010
Soul Meeting!! Una Valli and the Flames (1968)
Southern Africa’s first lady of sixties Soul, Una Valli delivering Motown and Atlantic as good, say the critics who heard her, as Arethra Franklin and Etta James ever did. Our friend Eddy at Soul Safari has just shared tracks from the Soulfire recording of “The Flames”; so we thought it a good idea to share the Flames recording that came just before Soulfire.
This time, the Flames share the backing band duties with other SA soul stalwarts, The Peanut Butter Conspiracy.
Be sure to check out Bas Mollenkramer’s authoritative discog and website on the Flames here. The site contains a full review of this rare album, along with pictures and more detail on Una Valli.
A Grahame Beggs production
released in South Africa April 1968 in mono on Rave RMG 1233
released in the UK 1968 in mono on Page One FOR 019
1. Satisfaction (Jagger / Richard) 2.22 the Flames.
2. Tell Mama (Carter) 2.20 the Flames
3. I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You (Shannon) 3.36 the Peanut Butter Conspiracy
4. Reach Out I'll Be There (E. & B. Holland / Dozier) 3.12 the Flames
5. Yesterday (Lennon / McCartney) 3.13 the Peanut Butter Conspiracy
6. You Are My Sunshine (Davis / Mitchell) 2.34 the Flames
7. Respect (Redding) 2.28 the Peanut Butter Conspiracy
8. Nowhere to Run (E. & B. Holland / Dozier) 3.03 the Peanut Butter Conspiracy
9. My Guy (Robinson / White) 3.22 the Peanut Butter Conspiracy
10. Take Me For A Little While (Martin) 2.36 the Flames
11. Stop Thief (Hayes / Porter / Shamwell) 2.25 the Flames
12. Yum Yum (Frazier) 2.38 the Peanut Butter Conspiracy