Thursday 3 March 2011

Township Super Soul - Bump Jive Number Six


More great news: ElectricJive has convinced Francis Gooding - professional archivist, vinyl collector and  co-compiler and researcher of Strut's fantastic 2010 "Next Stop Soweto" series - to join our blog team. Welcome Fin!

Today's post picks up on a golden thread running through ElectricJive. Herewith the Movers’ ‘Bump Jive Number Six’ album with the title track in all of its 12:48 minutes glory. We previously shared the shortened 45rpm version, with its special MC call-outs in introducing the band, on the Jo’Burg Love Trip mix.

Swirling groovy keyboard riffs and runs from Sankie Jacob Chounyane define this infectious sound – supported by two lead guitars and a rock-solid rhythm section. It would be fair to call them South Africa’s answer to Jimmy Smith and Booker T Jones rolled into one. But these are not just imitations, there is still very much that is African and original in this music.

In terms of date of publication, this album immediately follows Bump Jive (CYL 1030) that flatint shared on this blog in January. A Movers discography can be found here at flatint

1. Bump Jive No.6 (12:48)
2. Crying Child (5:15)
3. Big Time (6:50)

Produced by David Thekwane
CYL1031 City Special (1975)

There are two bonus 45rpm downloads for Movers fans:

CYB115 (1971)
1. Hey Jude
2. Let Her Go

RCB174 (1977)
1. Mama Liza
2. She Loves You

Enjoy

Bump Jive No.6
Rapidshare here
Mediafire here
 
Bonus 45rpm 1971
Rapidshare here
Mediafire here
 
Bonus 45rpm 1977
Rapidshare here
Mediafire here

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I keep forgetting to say "thank-you". I appreciate the ability you give me to discover new artists...and entire genres. Thank-you again ;^D

    ReplyDelete
  2. downloading these beautiful albums that here post, I'm from Colombia and I would like someone to answer me a question I have about a shaft artist: taith love - love hands Shandel, chicco - We Miss You Manel, amalia kids - phandla, Obed Ngobeni and the kurula sisters. of these great artists who are South Africans but is not much info from them by the network which I would like to know if you have any information from them, or at least I could provide them some audio of these artist I love to have someone of Blog like me to respond and I thank you for this excellent offering free muisca will attach my email if in any way they wish, wamerca@gmail.com from the north coast, and watch thank you very much friends !!!!!!!! !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing these resources @ one place ! I have downloaded all of them.

    ReplyDelete

Electric Jive is currently receiving a deluge of spam. Apologies for the additional word verification requirement.