A delightful and historically important compilation of early fifties township jazz - close-part harmonies, yodelling cowboy Tim Mkize, the Lo Six, Havana Swingsters, a little penny-whistling, and a great Dolly Rathebe track from the 1949 movie “Jim comes to Joburg”. And how about the sultry voice of Martha Mdenge – phew! (Read Janet Suzman on Martha Mdenge here).
5. Ekuseni: Martha Mdenge and the Black Four
6. Madlamini: Timothy Umlaba Mkize
7. I’ll never say never again: Simon ‘Blues’ Ntaba and the Harmony Crotchets
8. In the Mood : Pietersburg Star Boys
11. Mpefumlo Wami: King Cole Boogies
12. Nozizwe: Dolly Rathebe with the African Inkspots
Thank you Jonathan Eato in York (UK) for sharing this vinyl. Jonathan is in the process of developing the Jazz in South Africa (JISA) research pages - have a look.
updated link Oct 2015 here